2012年8月25日星期六

Cloth Diapering - The Cheap Way


If you want to cloth diaper as cheap as possible without having to wade through the mountain of information on the web regarding cloth diapers, then look no further.

When I was pregnant, I knew immediately that I wanted to cloth diaper my baby. I didn't know a thing about it, but for some reason it felt right. It was a combination of cost, environmental reasons, and something about it being old-fashioned. I've always loved old-fashion.

What I really didn't anticipate was the amount of information that one must sift through to figure out how to actually cloth diaper. I literally spent hours and hours during my pregnancy going through website after website, compiling enough information to get me started cloth diapering. I'm the type of person that likes to know my options and likes to have a ton of information to make a smart, informed decision.

I'm going to open up my diaper closet to share with you our system of cloth diapering. I spent about six months researching cloth diapers. This is what I came up with that worked for us.

First, this is what I have in my "stash" for my newborn:

 4 Thirsties Duo Wraps Size One (diaper cover). This fits from 6-18 lbs. However, I must tell you that I brought my preemie home from the hospital at 4 lbs 10 oz and he actually fit in the size one with no leaks. You can get them with snaps or with Velcro. I bought the Velcro ones before I knew there were snaps. Snaps last longer (Velcro has pilling problems and wears out), but the Velcro are more easily adjusted, preventing leaks. Eventually we'll have to get the Thirsties Duo Wrap Size Two (18-40 lbs).

 1 Econobum cover (one size). I bought this diaper cover to try it out, and it was cheaply priced at $8.95. I'm not crazy about it. The material is flimsy and the snaps feel like they're going to pull the cover apart, but it does the job and it is economical.

 1 Flip cover (one size). This diaper fits 8-35 lbs. I like it better than the Econobum. I paid $13.95 for it and only got one to try it out. While I like them, I like the Thirsties Duo Wrap better, so I probably won't buy a whole lot more in the future.

 10 fleece inserts. I put these in the diapers when I need to use an ointment that may ruin the absorbency. I got them for $.20 each, but you can easily make them by just cutting out fleece.

 4 snappis: I seriously could have gotten away with just two of them. They are fantastic for closing together a prefold. No precarious clothes pins to poke a baby!

 26 infant Chinese prefolds: Simple. I love these better than fancy pockets or all-in-ones because they dry faster and are cheaper. They also are very durable. I'll have to get a bigger size once my baby weighs 15 lbs.

Get yourself a diaper pail. I use a plastic trash can with a lid. Line it with something. You can put a little baking soda at the bottom if odors are a concern.

Buy some detergent. It has to be a certain kind. I use a cheap Target detergent that doesn't have any additives, scents, etc.

My wash schedule: every other day. First rinse cold with a little detergent. Second rinse hot with a little detergent. Third rinse warm (to get excess detergent out). Hang to dry. I pop them in the dryer for a few minutes to fluff them up, but it's not necessary.

And that's it! Cloth diapering really doesn't take that much more time than disposables. I have found that cloth diapers are more economical for a family, better on the environment, and gentler on a baby's skin.

Read More: http://wgtzone.blogspot.com/2012/08/baby-care-cloth-diapers.html
http://wgtzone.blogspot.com/2012/08/baby-dress-and-baby-diapers.html
http://wgtzone.blogspot.com/2012/08/buy-cloth-diapers-for-your-baby-on.html

没有评论:

发表评论